Latest News stories from Randwick Rugby Club
Thursday, 07 July 2011 10:08
The Randwick Rugby Club (Note: Not District RUFC) was formed in 1882 and is one of the oldest in Australia. The Club has competed in first division competition from 1889 to 1899, in 1914 and from 1923 to date. Randwick dropped out of first division when district rugby, as distinct from club rugby, was introduced in 1900 and played in what is now the sub-districts completion. The Club fielded reserve and third grade sides in the years 1908-1914 with a firsts team in 1914. There was no competitive rugby played during the WW1 years 1915-1918. The original Randwick Rugby colours were red and white.
After WW1 the Randwick Rugby Club was reformed and played sub-districts football with success from 1919 to 1922. Its home ground was the small Randwick Oval, now part of the University of New South Wales, at the corner of High Street and Wansey Road. Then followed three important events in the Club's History:
In 1923 Randwick was re-admitted to the ranks of the NSW first division rugby clubs; in 1926 the Club moved to its new home ground, Coogee Oval, where it has since remained; and, in 1928 the Club adopted its current colour of myrtle green. The change in the colour of the Randwick jersey arose in consequence of the admission in 1928 of St George Club into the first division competition when they were allowed to wear the traditional colours of their district. Randwick then transferred to myrtle green, the colour having been chosen from the destination signs displayed on the Coogee trams.
The use of the word "Junior" in the title of the 1920 3rd Grade Premiers photograph above is intriguing. From the above historical background, the Club seniors were clearly involved, at the time, in sub-district rugby. The question is: Were they classified as juniors because they were 3rd graders in a senior sub-district competition, or were they the juniors that we know today as Colts? Incidentally, the founding father and President, for decades, of the Junior Rugby Union was CA Fairland, Class of 1891 Sydney High School. The Fairland Pavilion at the McKay Playing Fields bears his name.
Vic Cohen (2nd row,4th from left) was, for many years, the Club Honorary Auditor. The Vice-Captain in the photo is Dobbs. EK Dobbs was Treasurer 1927-42 and was on the Management Committee in the 1950s. Eric became a Life Member in 1945.